I was the girl who was always volunteering to lick my Mom’s wooden spoons when she was baking. I was also always in trouble for dipping my fingers into the icing on her cakes. Maybe it’s not surprising that I ended up studying Patisserie!
Here are a set of questions (based on my own experience and nothing scientific), should you be wondering if Patisserie is the career for you:
- Do you enjoy the sensual feel of warm chocolate?
- Does colour and form excite you?
- Is your television always on the cookery channel?
- Do you dream about food?
- When you go to a restaurant do you first look at the desserts section of the menu?
- Are you fanatical about presentation?
- Do you love all things French?
- Do you delight in beautiful desserts or patisseries?
- Do you daydream about different taste combinations?
- Do you head straight for the cookery section of the book store?
- Do you love the smell of bread baking in the oven?
- Do you savour taste?
- Do you love to share?
- Do you sometimes wonder why dessert isn’t served before the main course? 🙂
While it is a very creative calling, it is also a tough job. Kitchen hours are long and not always well paid. Don’t let that stop you though if you feel you have a passion for patisserie! Once you’re confident, you can select the establishments you want to work at or even work for yourself.
As a Pastry Chef you may not be saving the rainforests but your impact can still be profound. By delighting those around you, you make the world a sweeter place!